Payroll and HR Associate
St. Stephen’s Episcopal School in Austin, Texas, a grades 6-12 day and boarding school of 705 students, is seeking a full-time Payroll and HR Associate.
The Payroll and HR Associate is responsible for processing a bi-weekly payroll for 200+ full-time, part-time and seasonal employees. The Payroll and HR Associate will work in collaboration with the Director of Human Resources on benefits administration, employee onboarding, and HR data analytics and reporting. Qualified candidates will have a minimum of three years of payroll and HR generalist experience and possess demonstrated proficiency in HR and business data systems with a customer-service orientation.
- Enters, maintains, and/or processes information in the payroll system (CheckWriters); information may include employees’ hourly rates, salaries, stipends or other compensation, time worked, paid leave and holidays, deductions and withholding, direct deposit accounts, employee demographic changes, and other information.
- Ensures proper processing of payroll deductions for taxes, benefits, and other deductions, and the reimbursement of business-related expenses.
- Supports non-exempt employees in the accurate recording and submission of timekeeping records, and supervisors in the timely review and approval of those records prior to each payroll cycle.
- Works with the Accounting Department to reconcile payroll to the general ledger, process check deposits, and reclassify payroll entries as needed.
- Assists the Director of Human Resources in the following functions:
- Employee onboarding in a timely, efficient and welcoming manner.
- Benefits administration including health and welfare, pre-tax spending accounts and retirement benefits, and the reconciliation of monthly benefit statements and invoices.
- Ensuring that employment policies and benefit plan rules are followed in the administration of the school’s HR programs.
- Producing reports, analyzing HR data, and completing surveys, requests for information and verifications of employment.
- Serves as the Safeguarding Records Administrator which includes: collaborating with the Episcopal Diocese of Texas on the certification and recertification of all employees, volunteers and vendor employees in their Safeguarding programs; and supporting employees and supervisors in the interpretation and implementation of the Diocese’s Safeguarding policies as it relates to interactions with students, school events and trips, and classroom safety.
- Models the school's mission and core values and finds meaningful ways to engage in the school community.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, Human Resources, or a related field.
- Minimum of (3) years of payroll and human resources experience preferably in the field of education.
- Working knowledge of FLSA, DOL wage and hour laws, and Section 125 regulations. Experience with ACA and ERISA is preferred. Experience with FMLA, ADA, and Worker’s Compensation is a plus.
- Proficiency in the administration of cloud-based HRIS and payroll systems, Microsoft Word and Excel, and the Google suite of programs including Gmail, Google Calendars, Drive, Docs and Sheets. Experience with CheckWriters and bSwift are a plus.
- Able to handle sensitive and confidential information and documents with a high degree of discretion and sensitivity.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Team player and independent performer with the ability to work collaboratively and autonomously in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent time management, job prioritization, and organizational skills.
Qualified candidates should submit their resume and a letter of interest addressing their qualifications for this role.
About St. Stephen's Episcopal School
St. Stephen's Episcopal School is a coeducational boarding and day school that was founded by the Episcopal Diocese of Texas in 1950. It is a caring, diverse community, inclusive of all faiths and grounded in the Christian tradition, which nurtures moral growth and values the potential and dignity of every human being. St. Stephen's challenges motivated students to live intelligently, creatively and humanely as contributing members of society. The school develops the whole person within a balanced program of academics, athletics and the arts. Students also participate in a wide variety of clubs and organizations, outdoor education and recreation programs, service learning activities, daily chapel services, and study abroad opportunities.
In accordance with our founding mission, St. Stephen's Episcopal School infuses diversity, equity, and inclusion practices in everything we do, from admission policies, curriculum, and professional development to our hiring practices. We seek qualified candidates who are committed to these values and ready to work in community to create a more just society. We celebrate every individual, recognizing that our unique stories, histories, and voices are essential to creating a vibrant living and learning space. As such, we strongly encourage people with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and identities to apply to become members of our community.
Equal access to employment, programs, and services is available to all. With respect to its employment practices, St. Stephen's Episcopal School does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or sexual orientation or identity.